
Norfolk State (UK), 19 Feb 2026 (BBC News)
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, marking an extraordinary development in a case that has drawn intense public scrutiny.
He was arrested at Sandringham House in Norfolk, the royal family’s long-standing country estate, set within 20,000 acres of historic parkland. The estate has been home to generations of royals, including his brother, King Charles III, as well as their grandfather, George VI, and great-grandfather, George V.
The arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor marks a historic moment, as he is believed to be the first senior royal in modern times to be detained by police. The last monarch to face detention was Charles I of England, who was tried and executed in 1649 following the English Civil War, nearly 380 years ago.
Thames Valley Police said officers arrested a man in his 60s at Sandringham in Norfolk at 08:00 GMT on Thursday. Searches were carried out at addresses in Norfolk and Berkshire, including Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park. By Thursday evening, the force confirmed the man had been released under investigation and that searches in Norfolk had concluded. Police stressed they were not naming the individual in line with national guidance and warned of the need to avoid contempt of court as the case is now active.
The arrest is not related to allegations of sexual offences. Instead, it follows what police described as a “thorough assessment” that led to a formal investigation. Earlier this month, the force said it was reviewing claims connected to Andrew’s association with the late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, including allegations that confidential information may have been shared.
Recently released US government files include communications between Andrew and Epstein. Documents appear to show that in 2010 Andrew forwarded government reports from official visits to Vietnam, Singapore and China, as well as information relating to potential gold and uranium investments in Afghanistan. Under official guidance, UK trade envoys are bound by strict confidentiality rules covering sensitive commercial and political material.
Andrew, who served as the UK’s trade envoy from 2001 to 2011, has consistently and strenuously denied any wrongdoing. This is the first time he has been arrested. He has not responded publicly to the latest allegations.
King Charles III said he learned of his brother’s arrest with the “deepest concern” and made clear that “the law must take its course,” pledging his “full and wholehearted support and co-operation” to the authorities. He added that it would not be appropriate to comment further while the process unfolds. Senior royals, including the Prince and Princess of Wales, are understood to support the King’s position. Buckingham Palace was reportedly not given advance notice of the arrest, which occurred on Andrew’s 66th birthday.
Public reaction has been swift. Former Prime Minister Gordon Brown said he had submitted additional material from the Epstein files to several UK police forces, expressing concern that justice be secured for trafficked girls and women. Meanwhile, Sky Roberts, brother of the late Virginia Giuffre, described the arrest as a “win for survivors,” though he acknowledged it was not directly tied to his sister’s allegations. Giuffre’s previous civil claim against Andrew was settled out of court, with no admission of liability.
Andrew stepped back from royal duties in 2019 and later lost his military titles and patronages. As investigations continue, police say updates will be provided when appropriate, underscoring the significant public interest in a case that continues to cast a long shadow over the Royal Family.
AOL reported that the family of Virginia Giuffre welcomed the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, praising authorities for taking action. Giuffre had long maintained that she was trafficked by Jeffrey Epstein and accused Mountbatten-Windsor of having sex with her in 2001. His arrest, however, is not connected to her allegations, and he has never been criminally charged over any alleged sexual offences.
Giuffre died by suicide last year after years spent advocating for survivors of sexual abuse.
In a statement, her family said they felt a sense of relief at the news of the arrest, writing that it showed no one is above the law. They thanked Thames Valley Police for its investigation and described the moment as significant not only for their sister, but for survivors everywhere, adding: “Virginia did this for you.”
Disclaimer: Asian Telegraph Qatar do not accept any responsibility for any comment posted on our website. Any comment does not necessarily represent the views of the Asian Telegraph Qatar, unless where specifically stated otherwise. We reserve the right to unpublish, or delete parts or the entirety of any comments that deemed to be non-conducive to the discussion.